If you’re interested in obtaining a Delaware medical marijuana card, the following steps will guide you through the process. We’ll be opening our doors soon and we look forward to serving you at the dispensary. Patient registration is now underway and we’ll update our resources once we know more about when the first sales will take place at our facility.
Qualifying for the Program
In order to participate in the Delaware Medical Marijuana Program, you must be a Delaware resident and have a qualifying medical condition. Patients diagnosed with any of the following conditions are eligible to participate:
- Multiple sclerosis
- HIV and AIDS
- Decompensated cirrhosis
- Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis
- Agitation of Alzheimer’s disease
- Autism with aggressive or self-injurious behavior
- Intractable epilepsy
- Physical manifestations of post-traumatic stress disorder
Patients can also qualify for a chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition or its treatment that produces one or more of the following:
- Cachexia or wasting syndrome
- Severe, debilitating pain that has not responded to previously prescribed medication or surgical measure for more than three months, or for which other treatment options produced serious side effects.
- Intractable nausea
- Severe and persistent muscle spasms, including but not limited to those characteristic of Multiple Sclerosis
Patients who meet the qualifying criteria must obtain a physician certification from a Delaware-licensed physician who has evaluated your medical history and determined that medical marijuana treatment would likely be beneficial for your condition. The physician certification form is included as part of the patient application.
If you’ve determined that you meet the criteria for the program, the next step is to complete and submit a patient application to Delaware Health and Social Services. The application form is available online here, but please note that all applications must be submitted by mail. The main sections of the application are as follows:
- Patient Information: This includes basic contact and demographic information for the patient, along with an attestation that you agree to follow the rules of the program.
- Physician Certification: This section must be completed by your physician. It confirms that they are licensed to practice medicine in Delaware and that they’ve fully evaluated your medical condition.
- Patient Release Request: This authorizes Delaware Health and Social Services to contact your doctor for the purposes of verifying the information provided in your application.
- Proof of Residency: You must include a legible copy of your Delaware Driver’s Licence or State-issued ID card.
- Application Fee: A required processing fee of $125 is payable by check or money order.
Once your patient application is fully prepared, please carefully review to ensure that all information is accurate and complete before submitting. Any errors or omissions could result in your application being denied and will delay the process of obtaining your medical marijuana card. If your application is approved, your card will be issued to you by mail.
Note: An alternate application form for pediatric patients is available here.
Visiting the Dispensary
As an approved patient, you’ll be welcome to visit our dispensary location any time during business hours. Our friendly staff will welcome you to the facility and answer any questions you have about our products and services. Please visit our Contact Page to sign up so we can keep you updated as we get closer to opening our doors and serving patients. We look forward to seeing you at the dispensary!